Saturday, July 6, 2013

Mozart Yodel Nº 1

If you spot a white station wagon, late 20th Century model, on U.S. 78 between Stone Mountain and Athens, with paint cans, scrap lumber, and tools in the back, it could be me.  If you hear singing in fractions of keys, sometimes matched, even yodeling, it probably is me.  But I am just minding my own business.  Which is more than I can say for the cop who switched on his flashing lights to pull me over, while I was in the middle of trying to recreate the real Hank Williams version of Lonesome, Long-Gone, Lovesick Blues, part reverie, part hearing and speech therapy as a cochlear implant cyborg.

I’ve got a feeling called the blue-ue-ue-ue-ue-ues,
Since my baby said goodby.
I don’t know what I’ll do-o-o-o.
All I do is sit and cry-y-y-y-y-y.

You have to keep the vowels in the throat, a glottal trick, almost like a gargle, with Listerine.  When the Snellville cop pulled me over, he said he was afraid somebody in my vehicle was in some sort of distress.

Hank Williams did it better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xu71i89xvs , more painful than the lackadaisical yodel of the singing brakeman Jimmy Rogers.

Blue Yodel Nº 1 (T for Texas)

Wikipedia says of yodeling: 
“All human voices are considered to have at least two distinct vocal registers, called the "head" and "chest" voices, which result from different ways that the tone is produced.  Most people can sing tones within a certain range of lower pitch in their chest voices and tones within a certain range of higher pitch in their head voices and spring into their falsetto (an "unsupported" register forcing vocal cords in a higher pitch without any head or chest voice air support). In untrained or inexperienced singers, a gap between these ranges often exists, although more experienced singers can control their voices at the point where these ranges overlap and can easily switch between them to produce high-quality tones in either. Yodelling is a particular application of this technique, wherein a singer might switch between these registers several times in only a few seconds and at a high volume. Repeated alternation between registers at a singer's passaggio pitch range produces a very distinctive sound.  
"For example, in the famous "Yodel - Ay - EEE - Oooo", the "EEE" is sung in the head voice while all other syllables are in the chest voice.”
This Jewell of skill and elegance :


Or, Königin der Nach, :


What is the difference?
V for Volfgang.
V for Viennese.
V for Volfgang.
V for Viennese.
V for Velma.
That gal made a wreck out of me.

Ah Oh Ah Oh Ah Oh Ah Oh Ah.

No comments:

 

Hit Counter
Boden Clothes